“There is still a stereotype that boys should lead. But this pushed me to perform more and better so I could be the leader – even though I was a girl.” Nurul, 17, Indonesia
European Week of Action for Girls 2014 Launch Event
Date: 06 October 2014
Time: 15.00-17.00, followed by a cocktail reception
Location: Hotel Silken Berlaymont, Boulevard Charlemagne 11-19, 1000 Brussels
Moderator: Laura Shields, Brussels Director at The Media Coach
This panel debate will officially launch the European Week of Action for Girls 2014.
It will examine the social norms which cause millions of girls and women to live in the shadows of boys and men.
Panel one: Shifting social norms. This panel will discuss what needs to be done at all levels to address gender discrimination and bring about transformative change.
- Klaus Rudischhauser, Deputy Director General of DG DevCo, European Commission
- Dr Robert Glasser, Secretary General of CARE International
- Michèle Dominique Raymond, Assistant Secretary General, Secretariat of the ACP Group of States
- Nike Foundation (tbc)
Panel two: It takes two to tango: The role of men and boys. This panel will investigate positive experiences and practices for engaging men and boys in promoting gender equality.
- Jean Louis Ville, Head of Unit, Governance, Democracy, Gender and Human Rights, DG DevCo, European Commission
- Ivan Hermann, Senior Policy and External Relations Adviser, UNFPA Brussels
- Halima Abba Zaid Ali, Project Coordinator, Young Adolescent Project, DSW (Kenya)
- Mark-Pieter van den Heuvel, Advocacy Officer for the MenCare+ programme at RutgersWPF
Panel three: Social media: A double-edged sword. This panel will explore the benefits and challenges of social media in promoting gender equality, exploring the possibility of future development programmes targeting social media.
- David Tunney, Head of Social Media, European External Action Service
- Schams El-Ghoneimi, MENA Political Analyst in Cairo, Egypt for human rights NGOs
- Dagmar Schumacher, Director of UN Women Brussels
Deadline for registration is 01 October 2014.
Follow the event via Twitter @PlanEU #EWAG14.
This event is organised in the context of the European Week of Action for Girls 2014.
The European Week of Action for Girls is organised by Plan EU Office under the patronage of the European Parliament and in partnership with United Nations Brussels. It is supported by partner civil society organisations.