- United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
- Security Council Committee pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999), 1989 (2011) and 2253 (2015) concerning ISIL (Da’esh), Al-Qaida, and associated individuals, groups, undertakings and entities
- Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1988 (2011)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: Afghanistan
- Special Rapporteur of the Commission on Human Rights on the situation of human rights in Afghanistan (1984-2005)
- Special Rapporteur of the Commission on Human Rights on the situation of human rights in Afghanistan (1984-2005)
- Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict – Visits to Afghanistan
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Afghanistan
- Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- OCHA in Afghanistan: http://www.unocha.org/afghanistan
- ReliefWeb – Afghanistan: http://reliefweb.int/country/afg
- The Afghanistan crisis in numbers (26 September 2019): https://www.unocha.org/story/afghanistan-crisis-numbers
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – Afghanistan
- UNESCO Office in Kabul
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Afghanistan
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – Afghanistan
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) – Afghanistan
- World Bank – Afghanistan
Security Council Meetings on Afghanistan
- 2019: 16 December, 17, 10 September, 26 July, 19 June, 5 March
Meeting records, press releases and resolutions:
- 2018: 17 December, 17 September, 23 July, 26 June, 8 March
- 2017: 21 December, 25 September, 21 June, 17, 10 March
- 2016: 19 December, 14 September, 21 June, 15 March
- 2015: 21 December, 17 September, 22 June, 16 March
- 2014: 18, 12 December, 18 September, 25 June, 17 March
- 2013: 20 June, 19 March
- 2012: 19 December, 9 October, 20 September, 27, 22 and 20 March
- 2011: 19 December, 12 October, 29 September, 6 July, 22 and 17 March
- see also Repertoire of the Practice of the Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/repertoire/asia#cat1
Selected UN Documents
- UNAMA key documents and reports:
- S/2019/970 (19 December 2019): Letter dated 18 December 2019 from the Chair of the Security Council Committee Established pursuant to Resolution 1988 (2011) addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2019/970
Transmits report of the Committee’s activities for 2019.
- S/2019/727 (10 September 2019): Children and armed conflict in Afghanistan: report of the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/S/2019/727
4th report submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 1612 (2005) and subsequent resolutions; contains information on grave violations committed against children between 1 Jan. 2015-31 Dec. 2018.
- A/73/961-S/2019/602 (2 August 2019): Letter dated 26 July 2019 from the representatives of China, Pakistan, the Russian Federation and the United States of America to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/A/73/961
Transmits the “Four-Party Joint Statement on the Afghan Peace Process”, adopted at the consultation between China, the Russian Federation, the United States and Pakistan, held in Beijing, 11 July 2019.
- S/2019/410 (20 May 2019): Letter dated 14 May 2019 from the Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2019/410
Transmits declaration on the consultative peace loya jirga, held in Kabul, 29 Apr.-3 May 2019.
- A/73/870-S/2019/374 (14 May 2019): Letter dated 2 May 2019 from the Permanent Representatives of China and the Russian Federation to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/A/73/870
Transmit trilateral consensus on the Afghan peace process, adopted at the meeting of China, the Russian Federation and the United States on Afghanistan, held in Moscow, 25 Apr. 2019.
- S/2019/376 (10 May 2019): Letter dated 9 May 2019 from the Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the United Nations addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2019/376
Transmits, on behalf of the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Norway and the European Union, joint statement adopted at the Europe-United States meeting on supporting peace in Afghanistan, held in London, 23 Apr. 2019.
- A/HRC/40/45 (28 January 2019): The situation of human rights in Afghanistan and technical assistance achievements in the field of human rights: report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/40/45
Prepared in cooperation with the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), covers the period 1 Jan. to 30 Nov. 2018.
- S/2018/1118 (31 December 2018): Letter dated 14 December 2018 from the Chair of the Security Council Committee Established pursuant to Resolution 1988 (2011) addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2018/1118
Transmits report of the Committee’s activities for 2018.
- A/HRC/37/45 (21 February 2018): Situation of human rights in Afghanistan and technical assistance achievements in the field of human rights: report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/37/45
Prepared in cooperation with the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), covers the period 1 Jan. to 30 Nov. 2017.
- S/2018/419 (3 May 2018): Report of the Security Council Mission to Afghanistan, 12-15 January 2018: http://undocs.org/S/2018/419
Annexes (p. 10-15): 1. Terms of reference of the Security Council Mission to Afghanistan — 2. Schedule of meetings of the Security Council Mission to Afghanistan.
- A/72/830-S/2018/288 (17 April 2018): Letter dated 29 March 2018 from the Permanent Representatives of Afghanistan and Uzbekistan to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/A/72/830
Transmits Declaration of the Tashkent Conference on Afghanistan: Peace Process, Security Cooperation and Regional Connectivity, adopted on 27 Mar. 2018.
- S/2018/11 (5 January 2018): Letter dated 22 December 2017 from the Permanent Representatives of Sweden, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Uruguay to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/S/2018/11
Transmits summary note of the meeting of the Security Council Informal Expert Group on Women, Peace and Security on Afghanistan, held on 5 Dec. 2017.
- S/2018/7 (3 January 2018): Letter dated 2 January 2018 from the Permanent Representative of Kazakhstan to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/S/2018/7
Transmits concept note for the Security Council debate on the topic “Building regional partnership in Afghanistan and Central Asia as a model for the security-development nexus”, to be held on 19 Jan. 2018.
- S/2017/1084 (29 December 2017): Letter dated 20 December 2017 from the Chair of the Security Council Committee pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999), 1989 (2011) and 2253 (2015) concerning Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Da’esh), Al-Qaida and Associated Individuals, Groups, Undertakings and Entities addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2017/1084
Transmits report of the Committee’s activities for 2017.
- A/72/312-S/2017/696 (10 August 2017): Special report on the strategic review of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan: report of the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/A/72/312
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2344 (2017).
- S/AC.51/2016/1 (11 May 2016): Conclusions on children and armed conflict in Afghanistan: Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict:
“Annex: Statement by the Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations on the report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict in Afghanistan (S/2015/336), made at the 55th formal meeting of the Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict”: p. 9-10.
- S/2014/887 (11 December 2014): Letter dated 11 December 2014 from the Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2014/887
Transmits the Agreement between the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and Afghanistan on the status of NATO forces and NATO personnel conducting mutually agreed NATO-led activities in Afghanistan.
- A/66/867-S/2012/532 (12 July 2012): Letter dated 2012/07/09 from the representatives of Afghanistan and Japan to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/A/66/867
Transmits the conclusions of the Tokyo Conference on Afghanistan held on 8 July 2012, entitled “The Tokyo Declaration : Partnership for Self-Reliance in Afghanistan From Transition to Transformation” and the Tokyo Mutual Accountability Framework.
- A/66/601-S/2011/767 (12 December 2011): Letter dated 2011/12/07 from the Permanent Representatives of Afghanistan and Turkey to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary General: http://undocs.org/A/66/601
Transmits the text of the Istanbul Process on Regional Security and Cooperation for a Secure and Stable Afghanistan.
- A/66/597-S/2011/762 (9 December 2011): Letter dated 2011/12/06 from the Permanent Representatives of Afghanistan and Germany to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary General: http://undocs.org/A/66/597
Transmits conclusions of the International Afghanistan Conference in Bonn on 5 Dec. 2011.
- S/2010/564 (1 November 2010): Report of the Security Council Mission to Afghanistan, 21 to 24 June 2010: http://undocs.org/S/2010/564
- S/2006/90 (9 Feb. 2006): Letter dated 2006/02/09 from the Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the United Nations addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2006/90
Transmits the Afghanistan Compact, adopted at the conclusion of the international London Conference on Afghanistan, held 31 Jan.-1 Feb. 2006.
Annexes (p. 9-19): 1. Benchmarks and timelines — 2. Improving the effectiveness of aid to Afghanistan — 3. Coordination and monitoring — 4. Participants at the London Conference on Afghanistan.
- Agreement on Provisional Arrangements in Afghanistan pending the Re-Establishment of Permanent Government Institutions (S/2001/1154, 5 December 2001): http://undocs.org/S/2001/1154
Transmits Agreement on Provisional Arrangements in Afghanistan Pending the Re-establishment of Permanent Government Institutions, signed in Bonn, 5 Dec. 2001, by the participants in the UN Talks on Afghanistan. Presents general and final provisions of the interim authority, its legal framework and judicial system, interim administration, and the Special Independent Commission of the Convening of the Emergency Loya Jirga. Includes 4 annexes which set out i) international security force, ii) role of the United Nations during the interim period, iii) request to the United Nations by the participants at the UN Talks on Afghanistan, and iv) composition of the interim administration.
- UN Member States on the Record: Afghanistan
UN Member States on the Record provides access to information about membership and statements of Member States at the UN.
Selected Statements and Speeches by UN Officials
- Secretary-General, condemning deadly attack on United Nations Personnel in Afghanistan, calls on authorities to bring perpetrators to account (SG/SM/19873, 24 November 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19873.doc.htm
- Women’s inclusion critical to sustainable peace, development in Afghanistan, Deputy Secretary-General says at Group of Friends launch (DSG/SM/1370-WOM/2201, 18 November 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/dsgsm1370.doc.htm
- Secretary-General strongly condemns deadly Afghanistan attack during prayers (SG/SM/19819, 18 October 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19819.doc.htm
- Secretary-General welcomes conduct of Presidential elections in Afghanistan (SG/SM/19787, 29 September 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19787.doc.htm
- No place for violence, intimidation, fraud in Afghanistan poll, Secretary-General stresses, urging consolidation of democratic, inclusive political system (SG/SM/19780, 27 September 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19780.doc.htm
- Secretary-General strongly condemns suicide attacks in Afghanistan (SG/SM/19745, 17 September 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19745.doc.htm
- Inclusive Intra-Afghan talks only solution to conflict, Secretary-General stresses, strongly condemning attack in Kabul (SG/SM/19721, 3 September 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19721.doc.htm
- Create conditions for Afghan refugees to return home ‘to a future of peace, prosperity’, says Secretary-General in World Conference Message (SG/SM/19709-REF/1264, 26 August 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19709.doc.htm
- Secretary-General strongly condemns deadly terrorist attack in Afghanistan (SG/SM/19703, 18 August 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19703.doc.htm
- Secretary-General strongly condemns bus attack in Afghanistan (SG/SM/19684, 31 July 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19684.doc.htm
- Deputy Secretary-General urges Security Council to help safeguard hard-won gains for women in Afghanistan, on heels of country visit (DSG/SM/1313-SC/13901-WOM/2187, 26 July 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/dsgsm1313.doc.htm
- Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Afghanistan, Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo (26 July 2019): https://dppa.un.org/en/security-council-briefing-situation-afghanistan-under-secretary-general-rosemary-dicarlo
- Secretary-General ‘outraged and deeply saddened’ as Taliban claim responsibility for deadly attack in Afghanistan (SG/SM/19651, 2 July 2019): https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sgsm19651.doc.htm
- Oral update on the situation of human rights in Afghanistan, Statement by Mr. Andrew Gilmour, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, 40th Human Rights Council session, Item 10, Geneva, 21 March 2019: https://www.ohchr.org/en/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24396
Selected UN Reports & Publications
- UNAMA Publications: https://unama.unmissions.org/publications
- UNAMA Reports on the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict: https://unama.unmissions.org/protection-of-civilians-reports
- Afghanistan Opium Surveys: https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/crop-monitoring/index.html?tag=Afghanistan
- Treatment of Conflict-Related Detainees in Afghanistan: Preventing Torture and Ill-treatment under the Anti-Torture Law (UNAMA / OHCHR, April 2019): https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/AF/PreventingTortureReportApril2019.pdf
- Injustice and Impunity: Mediation of Criminal Offences against Women (UNAMA / OHCHR, May 2018): https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/AF/UNAMA_OHCHR_EVAW_Report2018_InjusticeImpunity29May2018.pdf
- Justice through the Eyes of Afghan Women: Cases of Violence against Women Addressed through Mediation and Court Adjudication (UNAMA/OHCHR, April 2015): http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/AF/UNAMA_Afghan_Women15April2015.docx
- Update on the Treatment of Conflict-Related Detainees in Afghan Custody: Accountability and Implementation of Presidential Decree 129 (UNAMA/OHCHR, February 2015): http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/AF/UNAMA_OHCHR_Detention_Report_Feb2015.pdf
- Impacts of Drug Use on Users and their Families in Afghanistan (UNODC, 2014): https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Studies/Impacts_Study_2014_web.pdf
- “Like a Bird with Broken Wings”: Afghan Women Oral History, 1978-2008 (UN Women, 2014): https://un4.me/2OyQuUD
- A Way to Go: An Update on Implementation of the Law on Elimination of Violence against Women in Afghanistan (UNAMA / OHCHR, 2013): https://un4.me/2kxhUZd
- Natural Resource Management and Peacebuilding in Afghanistan (UNEP / UN Country Team in Afghanistan, June 2013) http://postconflict.unep.ch/publications/UNEP_Afghanistan_NRM_report.pdf
- Corruption in Afghanistan: Recent patterns and trends (UNODC, December 2012): http://www.unodc.org/documents/frontpage/Corruption_in_Afghanistan_FINAL.pdf
- Treatment of conflict-related detainees in Afghan custody (UNAMA / OHCHR, October 2011): http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/AF/UNAMA_Detention_en.pdf
- Human Rights Dimension of Poverty in Afghanistan (OHCHR, March 2010): http://www2.ohchr.org/SPdocs/Countries/AF/PovertyReport_30032010.doc
- UN News Centre Feature: Seizing on global trend, Afghan women reporters empower voices against violence (7 December 2017): http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=58247
- UN News Centre Feature: As Afghan war grinds on, a marginalized young generation raises its voice (31 October 2017): http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=58002
- UN News Centre Feature: In Western Afghanistan, an ancient love of poetry thrives again (5 October 2017): http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=57817
- Afghanistan & the United Nations (History): http://www.un.org/News/dh/latest/afghan/un-afghan-history.shtml
- Conference of Foreign Ministers – Rebuilding Afghanistan: Peace and Stability, Petersberg, Germany, 2 December 2002: http://archive.unric.org/de/frieden-und-sicherheit/26346
- UN Talks on Afghanistan, Bonn, Germany, 27 November – 5 December 2001: http://archive.unric.org/de/frieden-und-sicherheit/26328
Selected Non-UN Sources
- NATO in Afghanistan
- Security Council Report – Afghanistan
- The Humanitarian (formerly “IRIN News”) – Afghanistan:
- Brussels Conference on Afghanistan, 4-5 October 2016: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international-summit/2016/10/04-05/
14 May 2019
not an official document – for information only