To mark the International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust, Ciné-ONU Vienna, Brussels and Geneva, and the Permanent Missions of Israel and Albania to the United Nations (Vienna) invited you to the online screening of ‘The Albanian Code‘.
‘The Albanian Code’ features unique archive footage that brings to the screen the little-known story of how thousands of Jewish refugees in Albania were rescued in World War Two. Ennie Altaraz, who was saved there having escaped from Yugoslavia, decides to return to say thank you. This voyage is full of surprises, discovering how a nation bound by its moral code saved refugees and recognizing Albania’s unique wartime role in rescuing the persecuted.
With opening remarks by:
- Mr. Mordechai Denis Paul Rodgold, Ambassador of the State of Israel to Austria and Permanent Representative to the UN, OSCE and International Organizations in Vienna and
- Ambassador Igli Hasani, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Albania to the International Organizations in Vienna
Followed by a panel discussion with:
- Yael Katzir – Film director of ‘The Albanian Code’
- Ennie Altaraz – Main protagonist of the film
- Michal Kaplan – Daughter of Ennie Altaraz and protagonist of the film
- Shaban Sinani – Book author ‘Albanians and Jews’
- Martin Nesirky – Director, United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna