FAO-WHO World Food Safety Day high-level event – 7 June 2023, 12:15-13:30 CEST The theme of this year’s event is “Food standards save lives”
|On 7 June, World Food Safety Day, FAO and WHO will host a hybrid high-level event to highlight how food safety standards contribute to saving lives. More than 1 in 10 people fall sick each year from foodborne illness, and 420,000 die. The young and the vulnerable are disproportionately affected by the 200 different foodborne diseases that result from unsafe food, most of which are preventable. Prevention of such illnesses requires food safety to be observed at each stage of the food production chain, from primary production right up to the consumer. The World Food Safety Day 2023 campaign aims to raise awareness and inspire action on food safety. The event will, in particular, focus on Codex Alimentarius, which turns 60 this year. Hybrid high-level event Beginning at 12:15 CEST on 7 June, at the FAO headquarters, the high-level event will open with remarks by QU Dongyu, FAO Director-General, and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, and will bring together ministers and experts. There will be two panels – one on Codex Alimentarius moderated by Maria Helena Semedo, FAO’s Deputy Director-General, and the other on the role of science in standard setting and food systems transformation moderated by Corinna Hawkes, FAO’s Director of Food Systems and Food Safety Division. Francesco Branca, Director of the WHO Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, will also moderate a conversation about how food standards are promoting health. Speakers include: • QU Dongyu, Director-General, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
• Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO)
• Frida Krifca, Minister of Agriculture, Albania
• Francisco Gamboa Soto, Minister of Economy, Industry and Commerce, Costa Rica
• José Emilio Esteban, Undersecretary for Food Safety, Department of Agriculture, United States of America
• Laila Sofia Mouawad, Coordinator, International Affairs Office, Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency (ANVISA)
• Catherine Bessy, Senior Food Safety Officer, FAO
• Ihab Habib, Associate Professor of Epidemiology, Food Safety and Veterinary Public Health, Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, United Arab Emirates
• Moez Sanaa, Unit Head, the Standards and Scientific Advice on Food and Nutrition, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, WHO • Caroline Smith DeWaal, Deputy Director of EatSafe, Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)Follow the eventThose interested can register for the virtual Zoom event here. The event will also be streamed on the FAO webcast platform here.
Experts at FAO and WHO are available for interviews upon request.