|Five things you need to know about Burundi (29 April 2019):
- United Nations in Burundi
- United Nations Peacebuilding – Burundi
- United Nations Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA)
- Special Envoy in Burundi: https://dppa.un.org/en/mission/special-envoy-burundi, https://oseb.unmissions.org/en
- A new chapter for Burundi as the UN Office for the country closes (31 May 2022): https://ungreatlakes.unmissions.org/new-chapter-burundi-un-office-country-closes
- Updated Burundi Timeline (Politically Speaking, 22 January 2016): https://tmblr.co/ZaTV2m20Ev2Ct
- Timeline on developments in Burundi (Politically Speaking, 24 October 2015): https://tmblr.co/ZaTV2m1wb_QxY
- Special Envoy in Burundi: https://dppa.un.org/en/mission/special-envoy-burundi, https://oseb.unmissions.org/en
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights – Burundi
- UN Human Rights Office in Burundi closes (5 March 2019):
- UN Human Rights Office in Burundi closes (5 March 2019):
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Burundi
- Refworld: https://www.refworld.org/country,,UNHCR,,BDI,,,,0.html [EN]
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Burundi
https://www.undp.org/fr/burundi (in French)
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- ReliefWeb – Burundi: http://reliefweb.int/country/bdi
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Burundi
- Meetings in 2019: 30 October, 14 June, 19 February – The situation in Burundi
Meeting records, press releases and resolutions:
- Meetings in 2018: 21 November, 9 August, 24 May, 5 April, 26 February – The situation in Burundi
- Meetings in 2017: 20 November, 2 August, 26, 20 July, 9 March – The situation in Burundi
- Meetings in 2016: 29 July, 1 April, 18 March – The situation in Burundi
- Meetings in 2015: 12, 9 November, 28 October, 9 July, 26 June, 18 February, 21 January – The situation in Burundi
- Meetings in 2014: 5 November, 6 August, 14 May, 13 February, 28 January – Burundi
- Meetings in 2013: 22 July, 13 February, 24 January – Burundi
- Earlier years: http://research.un.org/en/docs/sc/quick/meetings/
Human Rights Council
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Burundi:
- A/HRC/51/44 (23 September 2022): Situation of human rights in Burundi: report of the Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Burundi, Fortuné Gaetan Zongo: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/51/44
- Commission of Inquiry on Burundi:
- A/HRC/48/68 (12 August 2021): Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in Burundi: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/48/68
- A/HRC/45/32 (13 August 2020): Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Burundi: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/45/32
- A/HRC/45/CRP.1: Extracts in English of the detailed final report– Sexual violence against men since 2015: https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIBurundi/A_HRC_45_CRP_1_Extracts_EN.docx
- A/HRC/42/49 (6 August 2019): Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Burundi: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/42/49
- A/HRC/42/CRP.2: Extracts in English of the 2019 detailed final report: https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIBurundi/A_HRC_42_CRP_2_Extracts_EN.docx
- A/HRC/39/63 (8 August 2018): Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Burundi: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/39/63
- A/HRC/39/CRP.1: Extracts in English of the 2018 detailed final report: https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIBurundi/A_HRC_39_CRP_1_SelectedChapters_EN.docx
- A/HRC/36/54 (11 August 2017): Report of the Commission of Inquiry on Burundi: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/36/54 and http://undocs.org/A/HRC/36/54/Corr.1
International Criminal Court (ICC)
- Situation in the Republic of Burundi:
- ICC judges authorise opening of an investigation regarding Burundi situation (Press release, 9 November 2017): https://www.icc-cpi.int/Pages/item.aspx?name=pr1342
Selected UN Documents
- UN Member States on the Record: Burundi
United Nations Member States on the Record provides access to selected documents reflecting the views of United Nations Member States.
- A/HRC/RES/48/16: Situation of human rights in Burundi: resolution / adopted by the Human Rights Council on 8 October 2021: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/RES/48/16
- S/2020/1078 (3 November 2020): Letter dated 2 November 2020 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council: https://undocs.org/S/2020/1078
Submits, in response to letter dated 23 July 2020 from the President of the Security Council (S/2020/766), report of the Secretary-General on the strategic assessment mission for UN engagement in Burundi.
- A/HRC/RES/45/19: Situation of human rights in Burundi : resolution / adopted by the Human Rights Council on 6 October 2020: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/RES/45/19
- S/2020/766 (30 July 2020): Letter dated 23 July 2020 from the President of the Security Council addressed to the Secretary-General: https://undocs.org/S/2020/766
Requests the Secretary-General to provide, no later than 31 Oct. 2020, a written report with recommendations assessing the challenges facing Burundi and the scope and modalities of UN engagement in the country, alongside the African Union and the region.
- S/2020/232 (25 March 2020): Letter dated 24 March 2020 from the Chair of the Burundi Configuration of the Peacebuilding Commission addressed to the President of the Security Council: https://undocs.org/S/2020/232
Transmits report of the Chair’s visit to Burundi from 2-6 Feb. 2020.
- S/2019/837 (24 October 2019): The situation in Burundi: report of the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/S/2019/837
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2303 (2016); covers the period since the previous report of 15 Nov. 2018 (S/2018/1028).
- A/HRC/RES/42/26: Situation of human rights in Burundi: resolution / adopted by the Human Rights Council on 27 September 2019: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/RES/42/26
- S/2018/1028 (15 November 2018): The situation in Burundi : report of the Secretary-General: http://undocs.org/S/2018/1028
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2303 (2016); covers the period since the previous report of 25 Jan. 2018 (S/2018/89).
- A/HRC/RES/39/14: Situation of human rights in Burundi: resolution / adopted by the Human Rights Council on 28 September 2018: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/RES/39/14
- A/HRC/39/40 (20 August 2018): Human rights situation in Burundi: note / by the Secretariat: https://undocs.org/A/HRC/39/40
Submitted pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 36/2.
- S/2018/89 (25 January 2018): Report of the Secretary-General on Burundi: http://undocs.org/S/2018/89
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2303 (2016); covers the period since the last briefing on 20 Nov. 2017.
- S/2017/200 (8 March 2017): Letter dated 8 March 2017 from the Chair of the Burundi Configuration of the Peacebuilding Commission addressed to the President of the Security Council: http://undocs.org/S/2017/200
Transmits report on the Commission’s ongoing engagement in Burundi.
- S/2017/165 (23 February 2017): Report of the Secretary-General on Burundi: http://undocs.org/S/2017/165
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2303 (2016); covers the period since the resolution was adopted on 29 July 2016.
- S/2016/881 (21 October 2016): Letter dated 21 October 2016 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council:
Transmits letter dated 13 Oct. 2016 from the Commissioner for Peace and Security of the African Union, forwarding a communiqué on the situation in Burundi adopted by the Peace and Security Council of the African Union at its 631st meeting, held on 6 Oct. 2016.
- S/RES/2303 (2016): http://undocs.org/S/RES/2303(2016)
establishing a police officers’ component in the country for one year to monitor the security situation and to support Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- A/HRC/32/30 (17 June 2016): Human rights situation in Burundi: Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/32/30
Submitted pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 30/27.
Covers the human rights situation in the country between 26 Apr. 2015 and late April 2016.
- S/RES/2279 (2016): http://undocs.org/S/RES/2279(2016)
Amid continuing violence and a persistent political impasse in Burundi, the Security Council requested today that the Secretary-General present options for the deployment of a United Nations police contribution to monitor the security situation, promote respect for human rights, and advance the rule of law in the country.
- S/2015/985 (16 December 2015): Report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Electoral Observation Mission in Burundi: http://undocs.org/S/2015/985
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2137 (2014); provides an overview of the electoral process, and the political and security situations, following the parliamentary elections held on 29 June 2015 and covers the major developments that occurred between 29 June and 18 Nov. 2015.
- S/2015/926 (1 December 2015): Letter dated 1 December 2015 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council:
Provides review of the situation in Burundi and proposes options for the consideration of the Security Council, pursuant to resolution 2248 (2015).
- S/RES/2248 (2015): http://undocs.org/S/RES/2248(2015)
The Security Council today strongly condemned increasing killings, torture and other human rights violations in Burundi, and stated its intention to consider “additional measures” against all actors whose actions and statements impeded the search for a peaceful solution to the crisis in the East African nation.
- A/HRC/30/42/Add.1 (10 August 2015): Report of the Special Rapporteur on the Promotion of Truth, Justice, Reparation and Guarantees of Non-Recurrence, Pablo de Greiff: addendum: http://undocs.org/A/HRC/30/42/Add.1
Mission to Burundi (8-16 December 2014)
- S/2015/510 (7 July 2015): Report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Electoral Observation Mission in Burundi: http://undocs.org/S/2015/510
Submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 2137 (2014); provides an overview of the electoral process, and the political and security situations, prior to elections up to 29 June 2015.
- S/2015/503 (30 June 2015): Report of the Security Council mission to the Central African Republic, Ethiopia and Burundi, including the African Union:
Annexes (p. 21-26): Composition of the Security Council mission to the Central African Republic, Ethiopia and Burundi, including the African Union — 2. Terms of reference.
- Further documents: https://digitallibrary.un.org/search?ln=en&as=0&p=subjectheading:[BURUNDI]
- International Commission of Inquiry in Burundi
- established by S/RES/1012(1995): http://undocs.org/S/RES/1012(1995)
- S/1996/682 (22 August 1996): http://undocs.org/S/1996/682
Transmits final report of the International Commission of Inquiry for Burundi, delivered on 23 July 1996.
- S/1996/8 (5 January 1996): http://undocs.org/S/1996/8
Presents a summary of the report of the commission of inquiry in Burundi.
- Repertoire of the Practice of the Security Council – The Situation in Burundi (1993-2019): https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/repertoire/africa#cat5
Selected Statements and Speeches by UN Officials
- Secretary-General expresses sympathy over death of Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza (SG/SM/20114, 9 June 2020): https://press.un.org/en/2020/sgsm20114.doc.htm
- Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Burundi, Assistant Secretary-General Oscar Fernandez-Taranco (14 June 2019): https://dppa.un.org/en/security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-assistant-secretary-general-oscar-fernandez-taranco
- Comment by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Wednesday’s statement by the Government of Burundi at a meeting of the General Assembly’s Third Committee in New York (25 October 2018): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2018/10/comment-un-high-commissioner-human-rights-michelle-bachelet-wednesdays
- Statement on the implementation of Resolution 36/2, “Mission by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to improve the human rights situation and accountability in Burundi”, By Kate Gilmore, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights, 39th session of the Human Rights Council (11 September 2018): https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2018/09/statement-implementation-resolution-362-mission-office-united-nations-high
- Tension grips Burundi after deadly attack and as referendum approaches – Zeid (15 May 2018): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2018/05/tension-grips-burundi-after-deadly-attack-and-referendum-approaches-zeid
- Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Burundi, Special Envoy Michel Kafando (French) (26 February 2018): https://dppa.un.org/en/security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-special-envoy-michel-kafando-french-1
- 20 November 2017, Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Burundi, Special Envoy Michel Kafando: https://dppa.un.org/en/20-november-2017-security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-special-envoy-michel-kafando-french
- 26 July 2017, Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Burundi, Special Envoy Michel Kafando: https://dppa.un.org/en/26-july-2017-security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-special-envoy-michel-kafando
- 20 June 2017, Security Council Briefing on the Situation in Burundi, Assistant- Secretary-General Tayé-Brook Zerihoun: https://dppa.un.org/en/20-june-2017-security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-assistant-secretary-general-taye-brook
- Grotesque rape chants lay bare campaign of terror by Burundi militia – Zeid (18 April 2017): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2017/04/grotesque-rape-chants-lay-bare-campaign-terror-burundi-militia-zeid
- Statement by Andrew Gilmour, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, at the Burundi Configuration of the Peacebuilding Commission, New York, 13 March 2017: https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2017/03/statement-andrew-gilmour-assistant-secretary-general-human-rights-burundi
- Statement by Adama Dieng, United Nations Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide on the situation in Burundi (24 August 2016): https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/note-correspondents/2016-08-24/note-correspondents-statement-adama-dieng-united-nations
- Condemning killing of former minister, Secretary-General reiterates need for intensified efforts to find negotiated settlement of Burundi crisis (SG/SM/17926-AFR/3413, 13 July 2016): http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sgsm17926.doc.htm
- Statement by Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, on the situation in Burundi (29 June 2016): https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2016/06/statement-zeid-raad-al-hussein-united-nations-high-commissioner-human-rights-1
- Inclusive dialogue key to resolving crisis in Burundi, Secretary-General stresses, commending Arusha meetings, president’s decision to hold more (SG/SM/17796-AFR/3387, 27 May 2016): http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sgsm17796.doc.htm
- Zeid condemns spate of assassinations in Burundi (27 April 2016): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2016/04/zeid-condemns-spate-assassinations-burundi
- Secretary-General condemns slaying in Burundi of Central African Peacekeeping Mission’s former Deputy Force Commander, urging prompt investigation (SG/SM/17704-AFR/3367-PKO/573, 25 April 2016): http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sgsm17704.doc.htm
- Remarks by Ivan Šimonović, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, at the Human Rights Council interactive dialogue on Burundi, Geneva, 22 March 2016: https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2016/03/remarks-ivan-simonovic-assistant-secretary-general-human-rights-human-rights-0
- Briefing Security Council on recent mission to Burundi, Secretary-General stresses shift from crisis response to prevention vital for resolving political crisis (SG/SM/17608-SC/12292-AFR/3348, 18 March 2016): http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sgsm17608.doc.htm
- Security Council Statement on Burundi by Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (18 March 2016): https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2016/03/security-council-statement-burundi-zeid-raad-al-hussein-united-nations-high
- Alarming new patterns of violations emerging in Burundi – Zeid (15 January 2016): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2016/01/alarming-new-patterns-violations-emerging-burundi-zeid
- Welcoming resumption of Burundi Talks, Secretary-General urges all political parties to work towards peace, national reconciliation (SG/SM/17439-AFR/3297, 31 December 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17439.doc.htm
- Condemning attacks in Burundi by unidentified groups, Secretary-General calls on all leadership, national authorities to refrain from further violence (SG/SM/17408-AFR/3288, 11 December 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17408.doc.htm
- Burundi: Zeid deplores NGO crackdown; renews call for inclusive dialogue (25 November 2015): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2015/11/burundi-extremely-dangerous-tipping-point-zeid
- Burundi at “extremely dangerous tipping point” – Zeid (10 November 2015): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2015/11/burundi-extremely-dangerous-tipping-point-zeid
- Secretary-General, condemning killings in Burundi, reminds government of responsibility to protect civilians, United Nations personnel (SG/SM/17308-AFR/3260, 9 November 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17308.doc.htm
- 9 November 2015, Security Council briefing on the situation in Burundi, Under-Secretary-General Jeffrey Feltman: https://dppa.un.org/en/09-november-2015-security-council-briefing-situation-burundi-under-secretary-general-jeffrey-feltman
- Recurring violence, killings in Burundi must stop, Secretary-General demands, condemning inflammatory rhetoric aimed at inciting hatred (SG/SM/17305-AFR/3257, 6 November 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17305.doc.htm
- Condemning despicable killing of civilians, police in Burundi, Secretary-General urges authorities to undertake ‘rigorous and prompt’ investigation (SG/SM/17226-AFR/3245, 15 October 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17226.doc.htm
- Zeid alarmed by recent upsurge in arrests, detention and killings in Burundi (28 September 2015): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2015/09/zeid-alarmed-recent-upsurge-arrests-detention-and-killings-burundi
- Secretary-General urges Burundians to settle differences, resume dialogue, ‘recapture’ spirit of Arusha peace, reconciliation agreement (SG/SM/17037-AFR/3204, 28 August 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17037.doc.htm
- Secretary-General takes note of Burundi President’s third term, reiterating call for inclusive dialogue to overcome ‘deep’ political divisions (SG/SM/17021-AFR/3200, 20 August 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17021.doc.htm
- Condemning assassination of former army official in Burundi, Secretary-General stresses need for inclusive dialogue to peacefully settle differences (SG/SM/17011-AFR/3197, 17 August 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm17011.doc.htm
- Following assassination attempt on human rights defender in Burundi, Secretary-General says growing pattern of violence must be broken (SG/SM/16988-AFR/3190, 3 August 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16988.doc.htm
- Concerned about deteriorating security situation in Burundi, Secretary-General calls on authorities to investigate recent political assassinations (SG/SM/16986-AFR/3188, 3 August 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16986.doc.htm
- After peaceful Presidential elections in Burundi, Secretary-General calls for resumption of inclusive political dialogue (SG/SM/16960-AFR/3183, 23 July 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16960.doc.htm
- Following Burundi’s decision to hold Presidential election despite dialogue suspension, Secretary-General urges authorities to ensure security (SG/SM/16956-AFR/3182, 20 July 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16956.doc.htm
- Secretary-General concerned about Burundi’s Insistence on holding elections amid prevailing political, security situation (SG/SM/16886-AFR/3167-PKO/502, 28 June 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16886.doc.htm
- Secretary-General, concerned over situation in Burundi, supports consideration of election delay (SG/SM/16874-AFR/3163, 26 June 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16874.doc.htm
- Secretary-General concerned by Burundi political crisis, welcomes African Union communiqué as ‘clear way forward’ to peaceful, credible elections (SG/SM/16860-AFR/3161, 21 June 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16860.doc.htm
- Deputy Secretary-General calls for common United Nations-African Union strategies in meeting on Burundi, South Sudan (DSG/SM/875-AFR/3155, 13 June 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/dsgsm875.doc.htm
- Increased militia violence “could tip Burundi over the edge” – Zeid (9 June 2015): https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2015/06/increased-militia-violence-could-tip-burundi-over-edge-zeid
- Concerned about possible spike in Burundi violence, Secretary-General urges restraint, adherence to human rights commitments (SG/SM/16819-AFR/3151, 4 June 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16819.doc.htm
- Statement by Adama Dieng, Special Adviser of the Secretary-General on the Prevention of Genocide on Mission to Burundi (30 May 2015): https://bit.ly/3KjNrv7
- Condemning killing of Burundi opposition party leader, Secretary-General calls on authorities to uphold human rights, prevent violence (SG/SM/16781-AFR/3143, 23 May 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16781.doc.htm
- While encouraged by inclusive political dialogue in Burundi, Secretary-General stresses concern over humanitarian crisis involving refugees (SG/SM/16777-AFR/3141, 22 May 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16777.doc.htm
- Zeid warns against reprisals after failed coup; fears Burundi heading towards further chaos (15 May 2015):
- Secretary-General gravely concerned by developments in Burundi, condemns attempts to oust elected government, calls for calm, restraint (SG/SM/16747-AFR/3132, 14 May 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16747.doc.htm
- Condemning pre-election violence in Burundi, Secretary-General calls on authorities to uphold human rights of all citizens (SG/SM/16712-AFR/3125, 28 April 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16712.doc.htm
- Opening remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein at a press conference during his mission to Burundi (Bujumbura, 15 April 2015): https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2015/04/opening-remarks-un-high-commissioner-human-rights-zeid-raad-al-hussein-press
- 21 January 2015, Security Council briefing on the final report of the Secretary-General on the UN Office in Burundi (BNUB), Under-Secretary-General Jeffrey Feltman: https://dppa.un.org/en/security-council-briefing-final-report-of-secretary-general-un-office-burundi-bnub-under-secretary
- Secretary-General stresses peaceful, credible elections critical for Burundi’s stability, as United Nations Electoral Observation Mission commences work (SG/SM/16445-AFR/3049, 2 January 2015): http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sgsm16445.doc.htm
- United Nations Electoral Observation Mission in Burundi (MENUB)
The UN Electoral Observation Mission in Burundi (MENUB) concluded its mandate on 18 November and its operations drew to a close on 31 December 2015.
- BNUB – United Nations Office in Burundi (January 2011 – December 2014)
- BINUB – United Nations Integrated Office in Burundi (January 2007 – December 2010)
- ONUB – United Nations Operation in Burundi (May 2004 – December 2006)
- Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Burundi (1995-2011)
- The New Humanitarian (formerly “IRIN News”) – Burundi
- African Union – Burundi
- Security Council Report – Burundi
8 August 2023
not an official document – for information only
not an official document – for information only